Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The authority of Jesus

I think it is interesting to speed read Mark which I have been doing for several weeks. When I speed read, different things hit me that I don't see when I am reading more slowly. One thing that keeps hitting me over and over in Mark is the question, "Who Is This Man?"

It seems to be asked in many different ways and about many different things that Jesus does. As I begin the book again today, verses 27-28 in Chapter 1 stand out in this way. The people said that Jesus taught with authority, not like the scribes.

I've been told that the scribes would learn the teachings of the scribes who went before them and would continually quote those former scribes when they were asked questions. One scribe would quote one venerated man and another scribe would quote another and then they would debate the question by continuing to pass quotes back and forth.

But Jesus (I think it is cool how many times I see BUT JESUS or some form of that in the gospel) spoke with authority. He didn't quote anybody. He just said this is true or that is true.

And the people were AMAZED. They were shocked. They stopped what they were doing and looked hard at Jesus. They wondered about him. They talked to each other about him. So the news of him spread throughout the region. They were so amazed and mystified by Jesus that they just couldn't stop thinking about him and talking about him. Because not only did he teach like he was THE Answer Man, but he also kept backing up his teaching with miracles.

Dear God, please help me continue to be amazed at Jesus and his teaching. Help me to look for the But Jesus in my life and when I am wrestling with various questions. I know what my culture says. I know what I think. But, Jesus knows the truth. He can see through and past my cultural position and what I have been taught and the conclusions I have drawn. He can see through them to the truth because the truth is shining brightly where Jesus is and I need to knock on his door and go into his house to see it. If I stay outside, it will always be dark and I will think I can find my own way but I can't really see in the darkness, so I am fooling myself. Help me to knock, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment